This course aims to increase the capacity of United Nations staff in upholding their human rights responsibilities in their daily work and in taking appropriate action for human rights protection within their functions.
At the end of the course, UN staff will be able to:
- describe situations where the United Nations did not adequately protect people’s human rights and the processes put into place to learn from the past.
- explain the purpose and scope of the Human Rights Up Front initiative and apply it in different contexts.
- define human rights, the relevant United Nations mandate, standards and policies, and the human rights responsibilities of United Nations staff.
- explain the United Nations human rights protection system and actors, and how to use them.
- recognize human rights violations as early warning signs of crises and consider situations through a “human rights lens.”
- assess options and propose appropriate action to ensure the protection of people from violations of international human rights or humanitarian law in specific situations.
All UN staff at all levels (ST/SGB/2016/12)
There are two versions of this course. Enroll in the version of the course that corresponds to your job network.
This self-paced online course uses a variety of methodologies such as diagrams, quizzes, case studies and videos on topics covered. Upon successful completion of the course, staff will receive a printable certificate.
For questions, please contact the OHCHR team at email@example.com.
Mandatory Training Catalog
Download the catalog
LMS-2299 (EN) for staff in DEVNET, POLNET, INFONET
LMS-2302 (EN) for staff in ITECNET, LOGNET, MAGNET, SAFETYNET, SCINET
LMS-2394 (FR) pour le personnel de DEVNET, POLNET, INFONET
LMS-2395 (FR) pour le personnel de ITECNET, LOGNET, MAGNET, SAFETYNET, SCINET
LMS-2396 (SP) para el personal de DEVNET, POLNET, INFONET
LMS-2397 (SP) para el personal de ITECNET, LOGNET, MAGNET, SAFETYNET, SCINET
Type of Delivery Format